https://christine.typepad.com > Completed Projects 2004

« Back to Completed Projects 2004

Pumpkin Hat

Pumpkin Hat

I knit this pumpkin hat as part of the Knitting Parents pumpkin knitalong.

I used the pattern from knitting-and.com but cast on 80 stitches instead of 110 (this wasn't necessarily what I set out to do, but it all turned out well in the end!). Followed the pattern pretty well precisely after that, but decreased until I had 16 stitches instead of 22, and then started working with the green.

With a gauge of about 4.5 stitches per inch (using US Size 7 (4.5mm) Denise needles), this made the circumference of the unstretched ribbed portion about 16.5 inches.

Pumpkinhattop I used Phentex Merit acrylic in Burnt Orange for the hat, and some Red Heart Comfort Prints in green camoflauge for the stem. It fits DS2 (my gracious model) quite well, and he's four, so I'd say it's a small child's size. Would probably fit age 2-5 or something like that.

The decreases are interesting. They stretch open quite a bit on DS2's head, giving a lacy star pattern. Kind of pretty! If I did the hat again in this size, I'd put the ribbing closer together - I left it at the scale for the adult hat (9sts apart) but doing them 7 stitches apart would have worked nicely, too.

Permalink