https://christine.typepad.com > Completed Projects 2004

« Back to Completed Projects 2004

Rugged Pink Hat (Try #2)

Rugged Pink Hat (Try #2)

DS1 wanted a toque and chose this pink lopi from my stash. I knit a hat up with it in one evening during a marathon tv watching session (3 hours is a marathon for me!) and realized after I was done that I must have been rather stressed: my gauge was awfully tight and the hat itself was too short:

Ruggedpinkhat

So I tried again, with more stitches and a vow to loosen up.

Cast on 68 sts, used 6mm needles for a gauge about about 14.5 sts/4 inches. Knit an inch and a half of 1x1 rib and then stocking stitch for about 7". At that point I used the decreasing formula from Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns - I like the gathered look of her decreases as opposed to a smoother, rounder top. Finished diameter was about 18.5" and a good fit for DS1 (he's six).

The yarn is Custom Woolen Mills Lopi in dark pink heather. Makes for a very boyish, rugged looking, pink hat!

Next time I will make the ribbing 2" long instead of 1.5". I have a bad habit of giving up on my ribbing too early! The hat would have been cuter with a longer band, and would give more warmth over the ears, too. Hindsight is always 20/20!

Permalink