https://christine.typepad.com > Completed Projects 2004

« Back to Completed Projects 2004

Bucket Hat

Bucket Hat

I knit this hat using ChicKnit's Bottoms Up Bucket Hat pattern.

Knit with Bernat Handicrafter cotton on 4 & 4.5mm needles (Prym 4mm 24" circs for brim, Denise 4.5mm circs for rest).

Chose size small because I was hoping it might fit one of my nieces but I guess I knit loosely with cotton and Denise (you kind of have to if you want that cotton to move!) because my gauge ended up larger than it should have been over the band (18sts/4" instead of 20) and I ended up with size medium instead. Oops! Next time will use smaller needles. This way it only used 2.5 balls of yarn, which was way less than I was expecting.

Because I was using cotton, I made the band a bit taller than it should have been, thinking it would shrink when I washed and blocked it. Didn't happen! So it ended up kind of top hat-ish (new word, that). I tried again, using hot water wash and a hot dryer and it shrunk up a bit more but next time I won't bother adding the extra.

The pattern was excellent - easy to follow, quite fun to knit. The brim was the toughest because knitting two strands of worsted weight cotton on 4mm needles is HARD on the hands. After that it was clear sailing and went really fast. I'd like to make it in wool next time, and felt it.

Permalink