https://christine.typepad.com > Completed Projects 2004

« Back to Completed Projects 2004

Baby Albert

Baby Albert

Completed July 3, 2004

The Knitting Parents Knitalong project: The Baby Albert coat from The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville. My second project from the book. I find most of the projects pretty dowdy but I have to admit I've been really pleased with the two things I've knit from it. Her explanations are top-notch.

I did mine in orange Patons Country Garden DK (now disco'd) on 4mm metal needles. Gauge worked out to 5spi over garter stitch (okay, must have been a little tighter as it turned out in between sizes). I knit the medium but the final measurements worked out a bit smaller - probably right between small and medium sizes. Used 16mm buttons and wouldn't want to go bigger. It turned out very well. I especially like how the wool was in just the right amount per piece - 1 ball for bottom half, 1 for top half, and 1 for sleeves, almost precisely.

Jacket is about 10" wide, 11" long, with 7" sleeves. Next time I wouldn't change anything except spacing of bottom two buttonholes - they should be a row or two closer to the edge.

Permalink