I wanted something to go with the Fiber Trends Ear Cozies hat that I knit this week, so I invented a little tiny pair of newborn mittens to match. Most newborns I know don't go out in the cold without being bundled in a car seat and car seat cozy, so these are more for anti-scratch purposes than winter warmth, but I made them out of wool so they could be used for either!
Newborn to 3 months
- small amount of DK weight wool (I used Patons Country Garden DK machine washable wool)
- set of 3.5mm double pointed needles
- set of 4mm double pointed needles
- wool needle for darning in ends
- Using the smaller (3.5mm) needles, cast on 24 stitches.
- Join into the round and knit in 1x1 rib for 15 rounds (or 2").
- Change to 4mm needles
- Next round: *K4, M1* around (30 sts)
- Knit straight (knit every round) for 14 rows.
- Begin decreases:
- K6, K2tog, K13, K2tog, K7 (28 sts)
- *K5, K2tog* 4 times
- *K4, K2tog* 4 times
- *K3, K2tog* 4 times
- *K2, K2tog* 4 times
- *K1, K2tog* 4 times (8 sts remaining)
- Cut yarn, draw tail through remaining stitches and pull tightly.
- Weave in ends.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.