Back in January (I can't believe it's been that long!!) I put my Antler sweater into hibernation. It had a number of problems and I was just kind of disgusted with it.
Here it is with its bad neck, icky garter sleeve band, and not-quite-right "shirt tail" bottom hem:
I've tried it on since, and it's a really nice fitting sweater. The contiguous saddle shoulders are lovely, and the body of the sweater has a comfortable, loose fit. It won't take a lot of knitting to fix it up, and enough time has passed that I think I can now approach it without getting annoyed.
So I pulled it back out on our Thanksgiving weekend drive and started tackling the problems. The first thing I did was rip out the striped yarn on the bottom, replacing it with the main body colour instead. I've given up on finding a contrasting yarn for the shirt tail and lower sleeves. The plain Briggs & Little blue will have to do. I also kept the hem straight. No rounded shaping. I'm going for plain and simple at this point!
After that, I ripped back the garter stitch on the sleeve and tried the sweater on. I had forgotten to do the decreases on the sleeve as I went and the transition to garter stitch looked enormous. But once the garter was gone, the stockinette portion of the sleeve was actually a pretty comfortable width. I wouldn't want it any skinnier on my upper arm - there would be no room for a tshirt underneath.
So the sleeve can stay. I'll just knit it longer, throwing a few decreases into the forearm part of the sleeve and then cap it off with a little garter stitch cuff.
Here is the sweater at the moment:
The last thing I will have to do is rip back the stiff, too-tall neck. Either that or fold it over and sew it down into a little collar, either with a small steek in it, or not. Will play around with that once the sleeves are done. Hope it won't be too much longer. We've had snow for the past couple weeks and I want to wear this thing!