Finished this little baby sweater for my best friend's boy #4, due in January. I am grateful to her for giving me a new baby to knit for. What a decent friend!
She is having this baby just as I am sending my boys off to university and high school. I find this fact kind of wonderful and terrifying at the same time. Could I do it all again, at my age now? I don't know!!
Anyhow, I figure a fourth baby (especially a fourth boy) deserves something new of his own, and I have always wanted to knit this pattern. So:
- Pattern: Free version of Baby Sophisticate by Linden Down
- Yarn: 2 skeins Patons Shetland Chunky in 03008 "Aran"
- Needles: 5.5 mm
- Size: 6-12 months though this pattern is notoriously small-sized so it's probably more like 3 months.
- Knit 4 more rows after finishing yoke increases.
- Cast on 4 stitches at underarms before starting on body.
- Picked up 6 stitches under arms and knit the side two together on the first round to close the holes. 30 sts total on sleeves.
- Knit 2 more short rows (5 wrapped stitches per side) on the shawl collar, mainly because I got carried away but since many of the Ravelry notes for this project recommend doing this to help the collar stay folded, it worked out ok and I left it!
- I originally knit blue stripes in the garter stitch border of the hem and sleeves, but it ruined the "distinguished gentleman" effect of the sweater and made it look far too babyish, so I ripped it out and stuck with the aran colour throughout.
- Love the way this turned out! I hope the cream colour isn't too much of a hassle to keep clean.